So now I am gathering things up to pack for our trip. Over the past year, I have been preparing and planning for a toddler around age 3 or 4. It has occurred to me that I have no idea what to pack for a baby. There are a few things ready that we planned to take anyway and they include:
- Photo Album with pictures of our family to leave with her caregivers;
- Disposable cameras to leave with her caregivers so they will (hopefully) take photos of her between trips;
- A blanket that we've washed with our detergent and that we've slept with to leave with her (with a matching one still at home);
- A Build-a-Bear with our voices (that the boys will help make) to leave with her;
- Bubbles; and
- Cheerios and Gerber Fruit Puffs.
That's it. That's the extent of my packing list. I seriously need some help here from those who have been there/done that or are about to and have planned better than me. For example:
- Do I need to take clothes for her?
- Should I take clothes to leave with her between trips?
- Will she need diapers? If so, should I bring a few from home or buy them in country?
- What else should we leave with her between trips?
- What kind of toys do babies like that will help us see her developmental skills? (You wouldn't know I'm already a mom of four. :0)) I'm thinking of stacking/nesting cups, but what else?
And then there are the general lists that I should have been making all along, but haven't:
- What should we wear?
- How dressy do you need to go when meeting with the MOE and/or for orphanage visits?
- Will Martin be able to wear blue or black jeans everyday like he does at home? Does he need a tie for anything?
- What kind of shoes will be best? (Please don't say black stiletto-heel boots!)
- What other odds and ends are needed for survival during the first whirlwind trip?
- What about flying into Moscow and then taking another flight to get to the region ... how much time should we plan between flights.
- We have our Skype phones ready to go, but we need to test them. Anybody know if they work in Kemerovo?
- I have electrical converters/adaptors, but don't know if I really need them.
- Martin is ordering the crisp dollar bills from our banker, but which denominations are best?
If anyone reading this post has any advice, tips, or suggestions for us, PLEASE leave a comment. And if you have your lists prepared, PLEASE share them with us by sending an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org! I greatly appreciate the help and will gladly pay it forward to others.