I know I said that my next post would be from Novo, but I forgot about the 6 hour layover in Chicago. We had a rough start to our trip this morning so I thought I'd take this opportunity to blog about it.
The title of this post comes from the fact that we almost over slept this morning. Thanks to the smoke detector going off in our bedroom, we barely made it to the airport on time. Neither Martin or I thought to set a real alarm clock. But at 6:10 am the smoke detector's shrill alarm jolted us (and everyone else in the house - sorry, Devon) wide awake. My heart was racing thinking there's no way our house could be on fire the day we had to leave for Russia! It turned out to be a dead battery. Whew!
The bad news is that we only had about 45 minutes before we had to leave for the airport and we both needed showers (sorry if TMI) and we had to load the car, hugs boys good-bye, etc., etc. Martin said God was looking out for us by making that alarm go off and he credits Gary Voorhies for praying for our trip! Thanks Mr. Gary!
The crazy thing is that I worked up such a sweat rushing around the house that when I got in the car to leave, the windows were steaming up. Seriously. It wasn't until we were going through security that I noticed that I forgot my coat and boots! Yikes, I am going to Siberia in the middle of winter with NO COAT or SNOW BOOTS! Surely they sell warm coats there, right? I hope so...
The other thing that made it so hard to leave this morning is that Liam woke up with a terrible sore throat. I gave him some Motrin which usually works pretty quick, but he was curled up in our bed crying and didn't want me to leave him. Just tear my heart out with a pitch fork, it would be less painful. Fortunately, when I called home, he was running around and playing.
Let's hope that a rough start means smooth sailing from here on out!