The Abraham Family’s Journey to Russia to Bring Home Their Daughter

January 18, 2009

Ice Skating in Red Square


Pam brought me a CD with all the photos from her camera. She had all our ice skating photos because that was the day I left the memory card to my camera in my laptop. (I remembered to take my camera, but it couldn't store photos.) Thankfully Pam was with us because this was one of our most favorite memories of Moscow. Pam also saved the day by bringing her passport with her to Red Square (required to rent skates), because Martin left ours in the room. Yeah, exhaustion was setting in by that point of our trip.

It had rained most of the morning, but the sky was trying to clear up. We lucked out and it did not rain on us for our entire outing. We attracted a lot of attention from locals. Maybe they have never seen a family with four boys dressed alike in snowsuits with a little bundle of pink following along in a stroller. Complete strangers were taking our photo and I have no idea why. One was a guy who looked like a news reporter or professional photographer with a huge camera lens. Who knows, maybe we ended up in the Moscow Times? I'd like to see that headline!

The boys are wearing snow suits because (as I mentioned in a previous post) when they ice skate, they spent a lot of time picking themselves up off the [wet] ice. This is evidenced by the photos below. It would have been horrible to have to walk back to the Marriott Grand in wet pants. The snow suits kept them warm and toasty [and dry.]

It was surreal skating with the beautiful St. Basil's Cathedral in the background. I could hardly take my eyes off of it. This was a day I'll never forget!

In case you are wondering what Lexi was doing during our ice skating excursion, she was fast asleep in the stroller -- and snug as a bug in a rug.

Warning: I couldn't narrow it down my favorite photos, so I posted them all:










4 comments:

Melissa said...

What beautiful pictures. The cathedral is gorgeous. You all must have had a great time. I can't wait to see Red Square myself.
Melissa

Lindsey Carney said...

Isn't it sad that we were in Moscow for 3 weeks in Dec. and I didn't ice skate on Red Square. When we went we had Hudson and I think there were a million people ice skating!

I love the pics and it's so cool knowing you've been where you were! Aren't we blessed!!

Roger and Joanne said...

What wonderful pictures! Looked like this was definitely a fun, memorable day!

Joy said...

What great pictures!! I hope I get a chance to go ice skating when I am there.
Joy